Community Volunteer Sought to Serve on the Rhinebeck Board of Education Audit Committee; Applications Being Accepted Through Friday, September 29, 2017
Do you have Accounting or Auditing experience? If so, we want to hear from you!
The Rhinebeck Central School District is presently seeking an interested community representative to serve on the Board of Education Audit Committee. The Audit Committee consists of three members of the Board of Education, appointed annually. We are seeking a new representative from the community. The committee will require attendance for at least 4 meetings but typically meets monthly.
For the 2017-18 school year, the Board Audit Committee will meet every other month, with the date and time of each meeting subject to member availability.
The responsibilities and duties of the Audit Committee are advisory in nature and include (but are not limited to):
- Recommending appointment of the External Auditor
- Meeting with the External Auditor prior to the commencement of the annual audit
- Reviewing and discussing any risk assessment of the school district’s operations with the External Auditor
- Reviewing the draft audit report and management letter and assist the full board in interpreting them
- Recommending the acceptance of the annual audit report
- Reviewing the corrective action plan and assist in the implementation of such plan
- Appointing and overseeing the Internal Auditor
The membership duties of the Rhinebeck Central School District Audit Committee include the following:
Good Faith – Members of the Committee shall perform their duties in good faith, in a manner they reasonably believe to be in the best interests of the Committee and the District with such care as a generally prudent person in a similar position would use under similar conditions.
Independence – An individual, other than members of the Board of Education, may not serve on an Audit Committee constituted as an advisory committee if he or she:
- Is employed by the district;
- Currently provides, or within the prior two years has provided, goods or services to the District;
- Is the owner of or has a direct and material interest in a company providing goods or services to the district;
- Is an immediate family member (spouse, spouse equivalent or dependent – whether or not related) or close family member (parent, sibling or nondependent child) of an individual who is an employee, officer, or contractor providing services to the district
Confidentiality - During the exercise of duties and responsibilities, the Committee members may have access to confidential information. The Committee members shall have an obligation to the Rhinebeck Central School District to maintain the confidentiality of such information.
Oath of Office - All non-Board members who are members of the Audit Committee, shall be administered the District’s Oath of Office by the District Clerk.
Interested community members should contact Whitney Druker, Rhinebeck CSD District Clerk, at email@example.com, call her at 871-5520 ext. 5532; and/or submit a hard copy of the application (Audit Committee Volunteer Application) to Whitney Druker, District Clerk, Rhinebeck CSD, PO Box 351, Rhinebeck, NY 12572, no later than Friday, September 29, 2017.
The Audit Committee of the Rhinebeck Central School District Board of Education was established in accordance with Education Law Section 2116-c and the Audit Committee Charter. The Audit Committee consists of three members of the Board of Education and one non-board member appointed annually.
Please review the Board of Education Audit Committee charter (Rhinebeck BOE Audit Committee Charter). The Committee members collectively should possess the knowledge in accounting, auditing, financial reporting, and school district finances needed to understand and evaluate the school district’s financial statements, the external audit, and the district’s internal audit activities.
The Board of Education will review the applications and other documents submitted with the applications, and will interview applicants prior to selecting the individual to serve on the committee.
We thank you in advance for your interest in serving.